Monday, January 14, 2013

Progress Report

I'm working on the edits for the soon-to-be-released Striking a Chord. I'm pleased to have gotten a good bit of positive feedback, though some of the critiques baffle me a little, at least in terms of how I'll work them into the story.

It's good to have a clear editing structure, though. I haven't much worked with the "Track Changes" function in Word, and maybe it's just because I'm exhausted, but it's confusing at times. But I shall persevere!

I listened to The Strokes a lot while writing the original draft, and now, editing it, I've moved onto Hot Hot Heat. One of my writer-like quirks is a belief in finding the right music for the writing one does. For me, anyway, the music I'm listening to at a given moment informs the way I approach the story. Stephen King wrote about writing with the door closed, with your music cranked loud--and editing with the door open. I can kind of see his point; when you're composing, you need to be very much in your own world. But I like being in my own world when I'm editing too--a different world from the composing land, granted. If composing is, like King asserts, like digging up archaeological finds, then editing is like cataloging those finds and giving them context.

I'm very tired. I think maybe it's time for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment